Maintaining a Healthy Diet
To follow a healthy diet is not about avoidance of eating favorite cuisines and obeying nutritional charts. It is only aimed to keep you fit by following some basics of nutrition in a way that works for you. Following a healthy diet does not apply rocket science. Given below are some tips for maintaining a healthy diet.
1. Eat enough but not too much. A healthy diet focuses on balance not excessiveness. Do not eat more food than the amount which your body cannot consume.
2. Do not limit your self only to a single type of food. A healthy diet is the one which is based on variety. Give a try to those fruits, grains, vegetables which you normally do not eat.
3. During out door eating opt for moderate food packages instead of large or extra ones (if you are eating alone). In recent years majority of food chains have raised the sizes of food packages however if you want to implement a healthy diet plan then focus on moderate food packages instead of large while eating for yourself.
4. Eat fresh. A healthy diet is based on fresh or newly cooked food instead of frozen one.
5. Concentrate on fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes. A healthy diet manual encourages use of these food items as they are free of cholesterol and enriched with carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins.
6. Drink more water as it flushes toxic wastes out of body through urination. It also prevents from dehydration which can cause serious illness.
7. Limit sugar based products especially carbonated drinks. It will prevent you from obesity. A taking of carbonated drink per day can increase pounds in double figures.
8. An impact of healthy diet is visible only when you are engaged in physical activity. Keep moving by taking exercises or indulging yourself in sporting activities.
9. Always chew food properly as it will help in digestion. Also savoring every bite will let you enjoy flavors.
10. Do not eat while you are driving, working or doing any other physical activity. This is necessary to avoid stress during eating which can cause digestion problems including heart burn.
11. As part of a healthy diet practice it is recommended to eat when you are really hungry. First drink water and then eat in slow manner. Close your meal before you may feel full.
12. Avoid bad carbohydrates. These include refined sugar, rice and white floor. Refined floor is filtered of bran and fibers which are essential nutrients and can prevent from constipation related problems.
13. For healthy diet use whole grain food and cereals e.g. millet, barley. Usually wheat cereals and dark bread contain whole grains. Avoid refined grains.
14. Make use of beans, oats, fruit, vegetables, whole grains which are considered as a healthy diet enriched with fiber.
15. Avoid canned fruit juices. Because it contains sugar syrup. Also avoid fried vegetables, snacked food as these contain extra fats and calories.
16. Proteins are also essentials for maintaining a healthy diet. Lack of proteins can hinder growth process. Proteins also act a source of energy which keeps the man moving. Milk, cheese, butter, eggs, meat, chicken and fish are food items enriched with proteins.
17. A healthy diet manual is incomplete without the usage of diary products. Calcium which gives strength to bones is prime ingredient of dairy products. Milk also contains Vitamin D which helps in formation of both bones and teeth. Always choose non fat or low fat diary products which do not contain bovine growth hormones.
18. A healthy diet does not exclude usage of fats. How ever it is recommended to use mono-saturated fats. Primary sources of mono-saturated fats are plant oils e.g. Canola oil, olive oil etc. Avoid Trans-fats which are present in margarines, cookies, fried and snacked food etc.
19. Keep an eye on salt usage. Salts are not bad if used in limited amount. However over consumption of salts can cause high blood pressure and other related problems.
These are some of the healthy diet tips which one can follow to avoid health related problems and live up to dreams.
Healthy Eating makes you feel better and look better. This video by syndicated columnist Rita Heikenfeld shows you recipes, cooking tips and is a guide to healthy eating. Information on healthy drinks, flax, soy and whole grains. Featuring Rita Heikenfeld from AboutEating.com.
Find More Healthy Diet Articles